A graphic designer is an important aspect of any marketing campaign. From designing a pleasing website to creating flyers and mailings, as well as advertisements for print media, they are an integral part of your business. Whether you plan to hire a one, or whether you are looking for someone who can provide work for you on a contract basis, it is important for you to make the right choice. Here are the five most important things to consider as you make this important decision:
1. Portfolio. It is important to choose a graphic designer with a strong portfolio. You want to see what he or she has done, and determine the quality of work performed. Samples are important, since they represent the work. Additionally, you want to make sure the graphic designer is competent in conception. Does an ad for hearing tests for senior citizens have small print? If so, the professional might not be that great. The portfolio will also indicate other clients the designer has worked for, and give you a place to go for references.
2. Their educational background. Graphic design is more than just knowing how to operate software or being good at programming. It is essential that a good design artist have a foundation in the principles behind the trade. In many ways, graphic design is an art, as well as a science. You want someone who has had formal training in the design elements crucial to translating your brand into a communicable message.
3. Sense of marketing. This profession is more than creating attractive images. To choose the right person, you need to consider his or her marketing ability. Good design includes elements such as font, use of space and even white space. It should be functional and communicate something to a specific audience. This is where marketing comes in. You want to market your brand, not merely provide decoration.
4. Good business skills. Part of business is knowing the product, and understanding the project. When choosing a graphic designer, you want to find someone with good business skills. A designer should understand your product and your brand. He or she should also be efficient and understand how time translates into money. The right graphic designer will know how to give you the best bang for your buck.
5. Professionalism. The final thing to look for when making your choice is professionalism. You should be able to work with this person, functioning as a team. Professionalism also ensures that you can leave outside emotion aside and accomplish a project. The right graphic designer will get the job done, and follow the dictates of good business ethics.
It can be difficult to find the perfect person with the skills that you desire, and it can be time consuming. However, if you take the time and do you research, you will find someone you can turn to when you need a project done. And it will be someone you can trust to do a good job.